After getting my dad to test my website on computers at work an on other computers around our home he came back to me with some feedback regarding the margin at the top of the page. On lower resolutions this margin (at 55px) resulted in users having to scroll down to see the entity of the image on every page, I’ve since changed the margin to bring the image closer to the top of the page this was a simple change as I edited the CSS of the page template which then automaticaly updated all pages using that template upon save. Testing again on various computers proved this change was for the better.
I haven’t posted any of the final images in their WIP stages yet but thankfully i’ve screencapped an image I was working on at various stages.
In photoshop using a graphics tablet(cintiq) I always start with painting in the background first, this sets the tone for the rest of the image and is a chance to lay down rough shapes (trees in this case) I work in varying layers, for the image below I painted in the light blue first, then the set of trees in a darker blue, then the trees in the foreground.
Next I created a new layer to work on, on top of the work i’d already done this is because I was going to be working with black which is unforgiving and annoying to get rid of if things go wrong.
Top layer with the black tree on top, in this project I keep details on backgrounds to a minimum, silhouettes of trees are much more effective.
Now on a new layer i began painting in the character, this takes the longest amount of time due to the shading. Starting with a mid tone gray I block in the shape of the character then using varying shades of gray and a soft brush at about 30% opacity I start to shade.
Looking periculary frightening at this stage…I was planning on putting the characters arms on a seperate layer to modify the opacidty of them a little.
more shading, arms and the opaque dress each on seperate layers, I then added a filter over the image to get a nice purple hue.
And thats pretty much it…not exactly a tutorial but this is how I paint!
Arranged my final images into a PDF using inDesign, one image per page and an a title page. I save a high quality PDF and a low quality one to be viewed on smartphones. I also tested the low quality PDF on my own smartphone and its turned out looking great. I’ll submit both PDF’s on a CD on Friday.